[Eeglablist] Muscles artifacts

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:00:01 PDT 2020

Very little published research on iclabel, one can play with thresholds,
based on task and data quality in the sample. Settings have been discussed
on eeglablist.

Usually only 10 to 20 ICs are "neural" in dense EEG, and this is normal and
generally accepted.

Researchers differ on how many and which ICs to drop. Some researchers just
remove a few (or a lot) of ICs and then analyze the cleaned sensor data. On
the other hand, researchers that analyze ICs usually find  just neural ICs
of interest that match up with well know ICs, and focus on just those
clearly neural components.

Drop ICs that are polluted with clear muscle noise. Some researchers keep
mixed components (eg alpha IC plus muscle noise) or only remove ICs that
are clearly artifactual, and keep rest.

Probably best to check follow a procedure from high quality ICA-EEG
publications.