[Eeglablist] Source analysis trade-offs: ICA + ECD versus distributed methods

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 10:14:07 PST 2021

Justin -

You are right that the choice of inverse source localization approach
typically depends on the information available as well as the goals of the
analysis. If you have T1 images for your study participants, I assume you
also measured the 3D locations of the electrodes?

If so, I suggest you try the NFT and NIST toolboxes by Zeynep Akalin Acar <
zakalinacar at ucsd.edu>, as these build electrical head models, optionally
optimize these models using SCORE by estimating the individual skull
conductance (the largest unknown affecting EEG source localization), and
then perform (optimized) equivalent dipole localization OR high-resolution
distributed source localization using SCS (Sparse-Compact-Smooth)
localization of Cheng Cao.

I believe that extracting all the spatial source information possible from
the individual records must be optimal. Because of individual differences
in cortical folding, group source analysis must have limited spatial
resolution. However, even high-res localization, performed on individuals,
then leaves the problem of finding equivalent sources across individuals
(i.e., source clusters).  The best approach I know of is that of Arthur
Tsai (Tsai et al., 2014) using cortical model co-registration in
Freesurfer, though open source software to accomplish this has not yet been
written, so far as I know.

But in considering different methods, one must first think clearly about
how one defines an EEG 'source' -- that is, ONE EEg source.... What
identifies a source as one (functional) source? Certainly, any source
resolvable from the scalp data must represent coherent field potential
across a large (cm^2+) patch of cortex.  A raw scalp channel represents a
net spatially-weighted difference in local field potentials across more
than one broad cortical territories, as Zeynep's CRF ('cortical receptive
field')  function (to be released soon, I hope) clearly shows.

For example, does the scalp map at a peak in an ERP (or other EEG measure)
represent the projection of "a" (that is, *1*) "source" ?  It does if that
is how you define "source"(!) -- but that definition may have limited
neuroscientific value, as this "source" may actually represent the sum of
several "local source" activities in several cortical areas with different
functional significances (as ICA decomposition, followed by source
localization reveals).

The neuroscientific value of ICA decomposition, I believe, is that it finds
projections of individual (or dual-connected) cortical 'patches'
within/across which local field potential is relatively  coherent (across a
sufficient portion of the decomposed data). These 'source patch'
projections should dominate scalp recordings, as local field activities in
other cortical areas that are spatially *incoherent* will be largely
cancelled out in the scalp channel signals by phase cancellation. If they
do dominate the net scalp signals, then other inverse source estimation
approaches should also locate them at least approximately...

I hope these thoughts may be helpful to you,

Scott Makeig