[Eeglablist] [External] Re: Source analysis trade-offs: ICA + ECD versus distributed methods

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 12 21:24:21 PST 2021

Dear Justin,

> But, I think the nature of my question might not have been clear.

Yes, it was not very clear to me. But I appreciated your enthusiasm.

> what is lacking imho is an earnest comparison of different source methods
in terms of utility, interpretational capacity, ground truth comparisons
across all types of methods (e.g., a phantom study).

If you say you read Electric Field of the Brain (EFB), I hope you did not
miss this part: ''If one type of data transformation suggests genuine brain
properties, we should be able to find supplementary computer methods that
yield similar physiological or cognitive conclusions. Otherwise, we run the
well-known scientific risk that our conclusions are no more than the
summation of assumptions made in the process of choosing experimental and
analysis methods. For example, some physiological interpretations have
depended on the unwarranted assumption that a few isolated sources generate
EEG. Another example is the implicit assumption that the brain is a system
with only a few degrees of freedom when interpreting measures of chaotic
dynamics." (EBF p.354-355)

The principle of functional brain map tells us that each brain region is
specialized to some specific functions. However, to the eyes that saw too
many nice activation maps in neuroimaging studies, watching a movie of raw
ECoG signal activation rendered on the cortex is purely mind boggling (was
it not?) We become surprised to see it because we realize that the speed
and complexity of the genuine brain dynamics is beyond our imagination.

Here is an interesting story--My colleague once said to me 'Where are the
independent components in this ECoG movie?' I liked this question as a
humble expression of curiosity at that time, but now I like it for another
reason: This symbolic question, which resonated in my mind for years since
then, finally brought one clear answer to me--independent components are
not in the brain.

Getting back to your discussion, what does it mean to compare equivalent
current dipole models with distributed source models?
Let me tell you--it compares their assumptions. It does not compare their
performance in terms of anatomical accuracy.

I generally agree to your opinion that using fMRI-based ROI is useful for
analyzing EEG, despite the cautions raised by the authors of EFB. We may
want to use as much prior information as possible, it is worth trying. Our
colleague Lars Kai Hansen once proposed a similar idea, a key hole
hypothesis (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5492868/__;!!Mih3wA!VpfjbanSu4M3WT7FQBGr_NEBib4APVhNTRsprLjkJYEItfdFbvxBmluGWbSSvImYaQDABQ$ ) But
again, we want to be careful when we say 'localize' or 'decompose' the 'EEG
sources': if we are implicitly or explicitly looking for an isolated,
stationary, independent generator as an EEG source, we may be wrong from
the beginning. It is worth remembering that the authors of EFB did not
choose to localize EEG sources because of radical skepticism on this point.
The authors actually criticized the popular implicit assumption that EEG
source are localizable.

Finally, this is my recent solution--talk only about models, and be always
ready to explain the difference between the model and the reality. Even if
your ruler is bent, as long as you can explain to others how bent it is,
there is a chance that your measurement is still meaningful. If you meet a
person who speak of EEG's source localization accuracy as if it were some
kind of neuroimaging modality, carefully ask them about his assumptions on
source distribution and dynamics.

Makoto