[Eeglablist] eeglab causal filtering: impacts and applications?

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:39:52 PST 2021

Hi Andreas,

Thank you so much for the thorough response and examples, this is very helpful.

Because this analysis is exploratory (looking at the whole 1.5 s period before stimulus), I cannot know whether the signal of interest is further away from stimulus onset than the group delay. Other studies on pre-stimulus EEG do not provide much on this topic surprisingly (e.g. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2020.00182/full__;!!Mih3wA!XvTZMQW-HAOS-0brWhhQ3MxL38_oEd5FVdHGyNbYHJfz1g5lWxfujc9QDsJT-037KfkNfg$ ). Interestingly, they found an effect at 24 ms before stimulus, and filtered with a second-order filter 1–40 Hz bandpass backward–forward. I wonder if that could be a smearing effect from post-stimulus activity.

I tried assessing what the delay would be for a linear-phase filter on my data with: (N – 1)/(2 * sample_freq) from https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://dspguru.com/dsp/faqs/fir/properties/*:*:text=has*20no*20mate.)-,2.1.,1*20kHz)*3D10*20milliseconds__;I34lJSUlJQ!!Mih3wA!XvTZMQW-HAOS-0brWhhQ3MxL38_oEd5FVdHGyNbYHJfz1g5lWxfujc9QDsJT-02fz36Ufw$ .
Do N taps = filter order = filter length?
If so, for an order of 1650 (i.e. for a transition bandwidth of 1 Hz as estimated by the pop_firws function; minimum recommended) and a sampling rate of 500 Hz, I get a delay of 1.649 ms.
For order = 132 (transition bandwidth = 12.5 Hz as with default pop_eegfiltnew), a delay of 0.131 ms.
And for order = 3300 (transition bandwidth = 0.5 Hz), a delay of 16.499 ms.
Following your formula to calculate the phase shift when using a causal filter (shift = order-1)/gp_delay), I get 1000 independently of the order (which makes sense as the gd_delay changes as a function of the order). I haven't worked much on phase so I am not sure if that corresponds to a big shift or not.

If this is correct, then the delay is very small and should not be a problem regarding latency shifts as I am looking at a large window of 1500 ms, right? If there is only a few ms of shift, using a linear-phase non-causal filter would be preferable to preserve spectral/phase information.
Visual inspection with vis_artifacts comparing raw data before and after shows very minimal shifts from the linear filtering.

Now I understand that I can't correct a causal filter without making it non-causal, thanks!

Side note:
> b_high = minphaserceps( firws( 10, 1/5, 'high' ) ); % minimum-phase non-linear high-pass
> fsig_high = filter( b_high, 1, sig ); % causal filter

Is this the same as using your pop_firws? e.g. [EEG, com, b] = pop_firws(EEG, 'forder', 10, 'fcutoff', 1/5, 'ftype', 'highpass', 'wtype', 'hamming', 'minphase', true);

What about your firfilt function that automatically corrects the group-delay if I choose to do the non-causal linear filter? No need to apply correction on EEG.times with this method, right?

Cedric