[Eeglablist] Large Unexplained Differences in Power Values

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:52:23 PST 2021

Hi,

> clean = clean_artifacts(EEG, 'ChannelCriterion', 'off');
You should have other inputs here. I don't it rejects anything with this code.

This is the default line when using the GUI:
EEG = pop_clean_rawdata(EEG, 'FlatlineCriterion',5,'ChannelCriterion',0.8,'LineNoiseCriterion',4,'Highpass','off','BurstCriterion',20,'WindowCriterion',0.25,'BurstRejection','on','Distance','Euclidian','WindowCriterionTolerances',[-Inf 7] );

After running your code and this default line on some Biosemi data, I get the power values below. This data was already pretty clean with one bad channel and some eye blinks.

Before cleaning:
deltaPower =
   25.1085
thetaPower =
   13.4117
alphaPower =
    3.4356
betaPower =
    1.2257
gammaPower =
   31.7254

After cleaning:
deltaPower =
    9.4691
thetaPower =
    7.5258
alphaPower =
    1.7914
betaPower =
    1.0055
gammaPower =
    7.5847

> Looking at the plot from vis_artifacts suggests that the cleaning has removed some very noisy sections with large amplitude changes. Do you think this is enough to be causing the 10^3 difference in magnitude in the obtained power values?
Yes if your data had huge artifacts and bad channels before cleaning it, it likely explains the big difference in power values. Use the lines above and play with parameters to find satisfying thresholds for your data. Your power values after cleaning look pretty normal, inpsect the red lines displayed with vis_artifacts, there must be some big artifacts in your raw data.
Note that dB values (returned by default) are generally preferred as they are less affected by artifacts and more stable to compare across subjects and studies.

I hope this helps,

Cedric