[Eeglablist] ICA variability

Krogmeier, Claudia M ckrogmei at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 8 12:12:06 PDT 2021

Hello,

Is it normal for ICA decomposition to behave differently each run, despite no changes in settings?  I also notice more variability in the values I am outputting after preprocessing with datasets in which a channel must be interpolated.

I discovered that my values were not always the same despite no changes to preprocessing or analysis when I was testing an automated preprocessing script. I realized that not only were my values from the automated script different from the values I get by manually clicking through the same processing functions myself - but these values are different every time they are preprocessed - manually or with an automated script.

I have tried clearing eeglab between saving different datasets, in case files are not correctly being overwritten.

I would not expect the values to be so different, but perhaps this is how ICA works. Thank you for any thoughts.
Claudia