[Eeglablist] How do pauses (boundary events) influence filtering of EEG data?

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Fri Apr 16 09:17:23 PDT 2021

Dear Pia,

Filtering must be done on the continuous data before epoching. The FIR filter functions („Basic FIR filter (new, default)“/pop_eegfiltnew, „Windowed sinc FIR filter“/pop_firws, pop_firpm, and pop_firpm) will automatically take „boundary" events into account, that is, filter both segments of your continuous data separately.

Caveat: Not all data import functions/plugins do actually import and/or correctly rename (all) DC offset events to „boundary“ (e.g., bdfimport). So, check whether you actually have an event of type „boundary“ where expected.

Hope this helps! Best,
Andreas