[Eeglablist] ICA for ocular artifacts: split components?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed May 5 10:49:49 PDT 2021

Dear Agnese,

Thank you for sharing an interesting result.

My prediction is that there was a event-related external stimulus at 250 ms
that can affect the eye.

Another thing to check is that if these are not the 'ghost IC' pairs--read
this article.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_useful_EEGLAB_code#How_to_avoid_the_effect_of_rank-deficiency_in_applying_ICA_.2803.2F31.2F2021_added.29

However, this does not explain the result. Basically, when ICA is forced to
decompose rank-deficient data, it shows pretty strange behavior, which is
not even well described (one example is shown here
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Examples_of_artifact_from_ICA_.28Modified_09.2F08.2F2020.29;
another example I know of is that the ICA weight matrix was with complex
numbers). So practically anything can happen. But as ICA is just a spatial
fitler, it does not know about the timing of the stimulus at all. It can
still detect a change in a spatial filter, which is why I suspect an
event-related spatial fitler shift. This is as if you slightly shift the
entire EEG cap at 250 ms, then put their position back before the next
stimulus onset.

I'm very curious to know what happened!

Makoto