[Eeglablist] Preprocessing suggestions

Chiara Gattoni chiaragat00 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 07:27:42 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I am in the process of starting the preprocessing of my EEG data which
have been collected during a cycling task of 40 minutes duration under
different conditions. Participants were cycling at a constant intensity
(moderate intensity domain).

This is my first time analysing EEG during physical activity and one of the
first times analysing EEG data in general (I come from sport and exercise
sciences).

I would like to do frequency and time-frequency analyses and focus on
alpha, beta and theta bands. No events have been measured and I was
thinking of dividing the 40-min EEG data collected into 5-minute time
intervals.
Have you got any suggestions to give me regarding the preprocessing part?
Data collected are going to be more noisy than resting EEG for sure, so if
you have any specific tips it would be helpful.

These are the steps I was thinking to follow:

1) Baseline removal;
2) Bandpass filter (0.5 - 30 Hz);
3) Downsampling (128 Hz; sampling rate was 500 Hz);
4) Removing artifacts manually;
5) ICA;
6) Using SASICA for removing bad components (2 maximum);
7) Epoching (4 seconds overlap).

Would you please let me know if I am going in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance,

Chiara