[Eeglablist] Group analysis with dipole fitting results from custom head model

Jacobsen,Noelle A jacobsen.noelle at ufl.edu
Mon Aug 9 17:00:55 PDT 2021

Arno,

Thanks for giving feedback on my pipeline. I also realized that it was unnecessary to realign to CTF space, and after keeping the head model in MNI space everything worked fine. However, a colleague of mine and I were discussing which coordinate space it is better to do dipole fitting. Do you think it's better to A) do dipole fitting in the subject CTF space (prior to any normalizing) so that the volume conduction model has not been warped in any way, and then later transform the dipole positions to MNI space or B) just do dipole fitting in MNI coordinate space using a subject MRI and head model that's been normalized to the MNI template? We're not sure if and at what stage the head model is being warped, or how this would affect results. Any thoughts? Does ft_dipolefitting perform in the original coordinate space and then transform to MNI at the very last step?

Regarding co-registration:
There are two reasons why I am using this fiducial method to realign electrodes to the head model. First, the dipfit GUI you suggested does not work for my mesh. I receive this error:
        Error using coregister (line 292)
        Unknown Matlab mesh file
My guess is this because I'm using an FEM mesh, not a BEM mesh. Second, I do not want to manually co-register all my custom subject electrodes, as this is very time consuming and subjective. An FEM mesh also seems to cause issues when trying to identify dipoles outside of the brain using ft_sourcedepth. I used my segmented subject MRI as an atlas for identifying dipoles outside of the brain instead. I used ft_volumerealign to obtain fiducial coordinates on the normalized MRI, without actually realigning the MRI. Alternatively you could obtain these fiducial locations using ft_sourceplot and manually storing coordinates you click on. Then I warped these fiducial coordinates to MNI space using the transform matrix that is contained in the normalized MRI.
        vox2head = mri_norm.transform; %transformation matrix to get from individual-->MNI space
              nas = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, nas_orig, 'homogenous'); % transforms coordinate of nasion [1x3] to a position in MNI space
        lhj = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, lhj_orig, 'homogenous');
        rhj = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, rhj_orig, 'homogenous');
This worked for me. I plotted these fiducials both on the normalized subject MRI and on the template MRI to verify it was marking roughly the same spots on the MNI template.

Regarding DIPFIT-Fieldtrip functionalities:
I do not think the functions ft_prepare_vol_sens and ft_prepare_leadfield are performing properly in DIPFIT 4.1. At the rate it was going, it was going to take nearly 30 days to run pop_multifit with a custom MRI vs. 16 hours total when I first ran those two functions myself in fieldtrip and then fed results into dipfit. Again, I think this is because the transfer matrix and/or other info was not being stored properly, and it was recalculating values for each component even though those values relate only to the headmodel (i.e. are independent of the specific component). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the head model transfer matrix and leadfield need to be recomputed for each component. I have not yet check if this has been fixed in DIPFIT 4.2.

Thank you so much,
Noelle