[Eeglablist] What are the pros and cons of ERPLAB vs. the Study Function for analyzing ERPs

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:43:08 PDT 2021

David -

EEGLAB has no built-in functions for defining and identifying peaks in ERPs
- Matlab functions to serve your particular purpose might not be difficult
for you to construct, however.  EEGLAB does have several ERP plotting
modes, as well as integrated STUDY-level robust statistics (using LIMO
functions) which ERPLAB might not have. And of course EEG has source-level
decomposition of the unaveraged EEG and thereby its trial-average ERPs into
dominant effective source processes, which I believe ERPLAB lacks. Further,
these source processes can be localized by several methods, and as they are
statistically independent, they very likely exhibit functional independence
as well, which the STUDY statistical functions can test.

Scott

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 4:34 PM Gilbert, David G via eeglablist <
eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I have some large data sets and am wondering what are the pros and cons of
> ERPLAB vs. the Study Function are for analyzing ERPs.
> Thanks in advance,
> David Gilbert

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott