[Eeglablist] ersp times: what are these values and how are they formed?

Iversen, John jiversen at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 20 10:42:03 PDT 2021

Hi Sean,

When you precompute ERSPs there are a number of parameters that determine the times at which the ERSP is calculated. By default it computes 200 evenly spaced points, but it will never include the full epoch because of edge effects in the wavelet decomposition--it will chop off time equal to half of the lowest frequency wavelet's length on either end of the epoch. That wavelet's length is determined by the lowest frequency you ask for as well as the wavelet parameters (# cycles). Raising the lowest frequency or reducing the cycles will reduce the amount of data lost. Check out the cycles, freqs and timesout parameters in newtimef.m

So, if you wanted to see the full 0-28 seconds in your ERSP, your original epochs would have to be padded to be longer. The amount of padding depends on the lowest wavelet.

I can't speak to the specific time values you got back, which don't make sense to me since they don't represent a symmetric loss of data on either end of a 0 to 28 second epoch: 0.559 to 14.443 seconds. Curiously, it represents about exactly half of your original epoch length. Without knowing the parameters that went into computing ERSPs it's hard to interpret.

Best,

John