[Eeglablist] Latency (time) ranges and Best Channels for each ERP component

Iversen, John jiversen at ucsd.edu
Fri Aug 20 11:00:53 PDT 2021

Hi Vic,

I would think that any classic EEG textbook would have something on this, and there are surely similar resources on-line (which someone else on the list may know about?):

"Electric Fields of the Brain" by Nunez and Srinivasan
"An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique" by Steven Luck

or perhaps the best for your needs: "The Oxford Handbook of Event-Related Potential Components" ("The first and only comprehensive resource devoted entirely to ERP components").

In the way of some background commentary: Your question is a mainstay of traditional channel-based ERP analysis which has indeed contributed many insights to psychology and you're right that there are patterns there;  in general, EEGLAB does encourage people to think about the more biologically interpretable source-space as Pål mentioned. I think his point was not about uncertainty in defining the channels and windows, for which there are indeed conventions, but the lack of interpretability of such features in terms of brain mechanisms. It all depends on your ultimate aims and interests.

Best,

John