[Eeglablist] Rank before ICA

Iversen, John jiversen at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 24 10:30:18 PDT 2021

Eric,

FYI, Makoto Miyakoshi has written about this, and wrote a plugin as well. See https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Re-reference_the_data_to_average_.2808.2F02.2F2020_Updated.29

and

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/plugin_uploader/plugin_list_all.php

His preprocessing page has a wealth of information.

Your implementation matches Makoto's fullRankAveRef.m :

% Apply average reference after adding initial reference
EEG.nbchan = EEG.nbchan+1;
EEG.data(end+1,:) = zeros(1, EEG.pnts);
EEG.chanlocs(1,EEG.nbchan).labels = 'initialReference';
EEG = pop_reref(EEG, []);
EEG = pop_select( EEG,'nochannel',{'initialReference'});

The only difference is you are using epoched data, while his was designed for continuous data. I see no functional difference between referencing before or after epoching, since it's done on a point-by-point basis.

FYI, comments on whether to epoch before of after ICA are here: https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Epoch_data_to_-1_to_2_sec_.2809.2F11.2F2019_updated.29

Best,

John