[Eeglablist] Question: Montage and topoplots using MNE-python

Alamian, Golnoush golnoush.alamian at ubc.ca
Thu Sep 23 17:05:03 PDT 2021

Hi there,

I have built a pipeline to clean EEG datasets from different clinical sites, mainly using mne-python tools and functions. One issue that has come up a number of times is montage/electrode locations.

For one dataset, when I use the ".loc" individual files from EEGlab as montage and try to plot the ICA components (as topoplots), I see that there is a clear rotation in the way the data is plotted. I have a feeling that this might be a compatibility issue between the way mne-python deciphers electrode coordinates and the coordinates obtained through individual ".loc" via EEGlab.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I have attached a screenshot of ICA components as topoplots and as a time-series, where it is clear that components 0 and 2 are ocular artefact that are plotted 270degrees from the centre (rotated 90 degrees to the left).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Golnoush