[Eeglablist] Artefact correction & ICA for multiple blocks during rest

Pia Ludwig PiaLudwig at gmx.at
Wed Nov 3 14:01:38 PDT 2021

Dear eeglab community!

I am currently preparing the artefact correction for our experiment, wich includes several resting state eeg recordings. Now I wonder if I can I concatenate my data across Conditions and Blocks for running an ICA (only to do artefact correction)?

The experiment is quite long and we repeat the resting three times (beginning, middle, end), so we have three blocks that are temporally spaced.
In each block we also alternate 'eyes open' and 'eyes closed' (each 60s, each 4times). So in each block we have 4 trials of two conditions.

As we are interested in how things might change across time (or if there are differences between eyes open/eyes closed), I thought it would be best to run the ICA across all relevant parts of the recording in order to keep artefact correction constant.

However, since the recording is very long, and because eyes open/closed conditions are probably different, stationarity is probably not given.

I found different opions on this, but do you think I can concatenate my data across Conditions and Blocks for running an ICA (only to do artefact correction)?

Thank you soo much,
Pia