[Eeglablist] sLORETA question

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:26:55 PST 2021

Dear John,

I'm so glad that you gave us a detailed comment. You seem a real expert, I
appreciate your input.

I remember that my colleagues in different labs showed me some kind of
LORETA images but about 50% of the cortex was 'on fire' irrespective of the
difference between white and gray matters. When I generated my first
eLORETA visualizations, which still contained 3 or 4 serious bugs including
90 degrees rotation to the right, the cortical distribution map was more
localized as if it were my favorite SPM96-style surface rendering. Now your
comment perfectly explains it--my colleagues must have used sLORETA!

Since only a few months ago I have started to use eLORETA. I'm pretty new
to this tool, so I'd appreciate it if you can tell me a couple of things.

1. In eLORETA visualization, what is color coded? From one of the LORETA
website (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uzh.ch_keyinst_NewLORETA_Misuse_Misuse.htm&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=kB5f6DjXkuOQpM1bq5OFA9kKiQyNm1p6x6e36h3EglE&m=YIIDJxTYvYfxQ5aVf47QkRtEOvugKtoZFM6RxeGQ36kbPfYtEoyxhkJwUAiBnKIA&s=cUOSw2oa_SjP4cm-mRkjhD7fl1bAdHjhGnnMb8-Rq1g&e= ), the
output is referred to as 'current density'. If I add a color bar next to
the color-rendered cortical plot, what is the appropriate title? Is it
correct to say 'Current Density' with no unit?

2. It's a bit technical question. Moreover, I may not know the exact
language to ask this question. So please bear with me.
I have been reading 'Electric Field of the Brain' (Nunez and Srinivasan,
2006) with great interest. I found that the area of the dipole sheet on the
cortex exponentially reduces distance-dependent attenuation of the electric
field. I understood it as one of the most basic forms of transducer array
effect with no phase array. I summarized what I learned in this slide.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Physiologically_invalid_deep_dipoles.3F_.28For_130.2C000_page_views.2C_07.2F26.2F2021_Update.29
Now, when I calculate eLORETA, it takes electrode power can covariance. You
kindly explained how eLORETA uses the covariance matrix, I'm so glad to
understand it. Now my question is, does eLORETA forward model address this
transducer array effect?
For example, according to Cooper et al. (1965), expanding the source area
from a needle point to 1 square inches reduced the distance-dependent
attenuation about 10,000 times. Does eLORETA also reflect this relation
between source size and scalp potential?
If linear superposition principle also applies to the electric fields (?)
represented in eLORETA, it should be the case, but I'd like to confirm it
with someone knowledgable.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dear Ugo,

Thank you for your offer. I appreciate your cooperation.
I have a functional snippet to generate a figure. I'd like to give it to
you for your opinion.
Before that, I'd like to upload a movie to Youtube to demonstrate what it
does, but for that I need to obtain my colleague's permission because the
data used is his clinical data.
Please wait.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dear Neri,

> 4. Interesting question - eLORETA currently provides t-statistics and
effect sizes with the pixel-based permutations, which have been useful.
(This was comparing the condition averages, though, not time points.)

Ah ok, it does it already huh. If you can point me to the source of code,
I'd appreciate it.

> A couple of concerns on the scalp approach: could there be a significant
difference at a voxel in 3D that projects to multiple electrodes (maybe at
a distance) and therefore doesn't reach significance at any scalp location,
and is therefore missed? Could nonsignificant voxels look significant if
they projected to an electrode which also received signals from a
significant voxel? Those two concerns would make me lean towards current
density stats.

Yes, signal cancellation generally occurs in the process of mixing, so
comparing the 'sources' and their mixing observed at scalp locations do not
exactly match.
Think about an extreme case--there are only two sources in a brain, the
same sine wave but with opposite phase. If they cancel each other during
the mixing process, you observe no signal at some scalp locations.
So yes, comparing source activations directly across conditions makes more
sense, but for that you need many iterations of eLORETA to generate
surrogate statistics which is not particularly beautiful.
Maybe there are already smart solutions available somewhere. I'd appreciate
it if you can tell me info about these solutions.

> 5. I would really like to extract a time series for voxels around a
specified ROI coordinate to analyse further (although maybe this is already
available in the dipfit function? I have not explored that yet).

The problems is that the obtained voxel values are very bulky. If you are
talking about only 500 ms-long data (such as MMN) sampled at 250Hz, you
only need 125 eLORETA data so it may not be too difficult. But if you are
looking for 1-hour recording data converted to continuous eLORETA, you may
need a complicated solution such as memory mapping?

Makoto