[Eeglablist] Editing Events, Exporting, Importing

Lee, Royce [BSD] rlee1 at bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Jan 29 21:43:09 PST 2023

Thank you Connor. Yes, the data were imported into EEGlab using the Biosig Plugin. Today I reviewed the EEGlab wiki carefully, paying close attention to the parameters and the example spreadsheet. I believe I have identified the reason why using this specific .set file, I'm having difficulty export a trigger .txt file and importing the same file. This .set file has been artifact rejected and has undergone ICA. Because we spent time on this process, we would rather not redo previous step of importing. This specific file outputs a .txt file with about 8 - 9 headers on the first line. Far more complex than the example in the wiki and that I've seen using our previous Biosemi recordings. However, the boundary events created by EEGlab 2022.1 (with Boundary event = -99) have only three headers: time, trigger type (boundary), and number (sequential numbered triggers). Thus, the .txt file has a combination of two different schemes, and the boundary and trigger roles are interleaved. It does not make sense on the page, and I'm guessing that if I had one or the other, the export-import process via the GUI would work smoothly.

So, I think what we'll do is write python code to take the complex trigger file and simplify/standardize it to a simpler format with three columns. I'll report back if this works. If it does, the next step will be to edit the trigger files with conditional triggers, which should resolve the confusing and non-specific trigger scheme the data wound up using. Specifically, the only way to know if an emotional face stimuli are of a certain valence is if that stimulus is paired with a fixation cross that is encoded with the value of the emotional valence of the entire block of stimuli (fixation point, schematic face, emotional face).

I understand this may be possible in Matlab, but I don't yet have the ability to write this code.

Royce Lee