[Eeglablist] Rereferencing

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:10:37 PST 2023

Hi Sarvenaz,

That depends on what you aim to do and your montage. If you have 64 or more electrodes, default is generally average reference. If you want to highlight local dynamics and reduce volume conduction effects (as opposed to widespread/global scalp dynamics), you’d want to apply reference-free CSD transformation (more complex and relies on head models, but available). Generally default for source or connectivity applications.
If you have ~30 electrodes, infinity/REST reference is probably best (REST plugin).
With less channels, that’s very dependent on your goals. e.g. if you want to look at frontal channels, a linked mastoid reference could be preferable but vulnerable to left/right asymmetric contaminations.
Etc. Etc.

Hope this helps.

Cedric Cannard