[Eeglablist] Setting correct parameters for pop_eegfiltnew()

Alica Rogojin arogojin at research.baycrest.org
Fri Feb 24 07:25:55 PST 2023

Hi there,

I'm trying to use pop_eegfiltnew to filter EMG data from a muscle in the
hand, sampling rate = 5000Hz.  I'd like to apply a bandpass filter (low
cutoff = 25Hz, high cutoff = 1000Hz) and a notch filter (60Hz), and have
the following:

Bandpass filter -
>> EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 'locutoff', 25, 'hicutoff', 1000);

Notch filter (revfilt = 1 to change bandpass filter to be a notch filter) -
>> EEG = pop_eegfiltnew(EEG, 'locutoff', 57, 'hicutoff', 63, 'revfilt', 1);

However, looking into more posts about pop_eegfiltnew I feel that I may
have oversimplified and there may be more to this.  Did I do this correctly?

According to <https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2017/012297.html>,
the numbers I used above are not actually cutoff frequencies but are
passband edges.  They also mention calculating transition band widths to
get the correct cutoff frequency to use in pop_eegfiltnew.  I'm a bit
confused as to how to do this and would appreciate any pointers.  Same for
the notch filter.

I also saw posts mentioning that I should not be creating a bandpass filter
with high and low cutoffs in one - that I should be doing this in separate
lines.  Is this true?

I would appreciate any help!  Thank you,
Alica