[Eeglablist] Setting correct parameters for pop_eegfiltnew()

Cedric Cannard ccannard at protonmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:03:56 PST 2023

Hi Alica,

You should find the information you need here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eeglab.org/others/Firfilt_FAQ.html*q-what-are-passband-stopband-transition-bandwidth-cutoff-frequency-passband-rippleringing-and-stopband-rippleattenuation__;Iw!!Mih3wA!F-pP_eV2aUmVhhiaye8M18it4dhFIunRvHLwF8nn0CK5x2nHGaIXNdLlEy9-2bi7pkV16tIkJKUgpKGUt0Hd2yQOxA$

In brief, a notch filter is typically used to remove specific frequencies from a signal, while a bandpass filter is used to isolate a specific frequency range from a signal. But you can do both by applying a highpass and a lowpass filter one after the other, it's the same.

> 3) Do I need to specify anything for usefft, plotfreqz, minphase, or
usefftfilt?
usefft would be if your filter order is very large and will save you significant computing time.
plotfreqz will show you what the filter is doing, you should give it a try and see the differences that your parameters have.
minphase if for causal filtering (crucial if you're looking at pre-stimulus activity for example; see link I sent there is abundant information from Andreas Widmann on all this).

You can go to Tools > filter data > Windowed sync FIR filter and play with the parameters there (estimate order based on cutoff frequencies and transition bandwidths). However, you can just apply highpass 20 Hz and lowpass 1000 hz with the pop_eegfiltnew function (it will estimate the transition bandwidths and orders automatically).  Then you can remove line noise with the cleanLine or zapline plugins.

Whatever you do, plot the power spectra and compare before/after filtering to see what you are doing to the data.

Cedric