[Eeglablist] dry electrodes

Hanna Szakács szakacsmiriamhanna at gmail.com
Wed May 3 00:52:18 PDT 2023

Hi Ettore,

Dry electrodes are frequently used in sleep studies, specifically the Dreem
headband. There are some pros, e.g. they are simpler to use, even for
non-researchers, and thus can be taken home by the participants. It's much
easier to recruit participants if they can take the device home and sleep
in their own beds while wearing it. I would say it provides more valid data
too, as sleeping at a new place (such as a sleep lab) is difficult for some
people and can give misleading data.
The con with this headband specifically is that it mostly collects data
from the frontal and occipital regions, which is very limited. We can't see
what goes on on the other parts of the scalp, so a lot of potentially
valuable data is lost. Also, the headband can move around because the
subject moves and turns in their sleep, so it might end up much noisier
than a regular EEG cap would.
Hanna

2023. máj. 2., K, 23:55):