[Eeglablist] Dipole's moment unit

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 19 15:55:35 PDT 2023

> For a ground truth dipole right underneath an electrode with moment [1 0
0] in Fieldtrip, I got estimated dipole moment [10^6 0 0] in EEGLAB. I
guess this corresponds to A -> nA.

Actually, this statement is wrong because A -> nA is x10^9, not x10^6.
I found that the leadfield matrix I used is scaled as follows

scalingFactor = ft_scalingfactor('V/(A*m)', 'uV/(nA*m)');

This scaling factor is 10^-3. I think this explains the difference between
10^9 and 10^6.
The reason why my code (which is based on some material I took from one of
Fieldtrip tutorials) uses this scaling factor is because so that when you
multiply the dipole moment you can obtain the potential at the electrode in
micro V, it says.

Makoto