[Eeglablist] MATLAB bandpower() function

Lue, James C. james.c.lue at ou.edu
Fri Aug 11 16:33:55 PDT 2023

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have experience using MATLAB's bandpower() function? (Refer to https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mathworks.com/help/signal/ref/bandpower.html__;!!Mih3wA!AutYfNma0CaV8dcabl0Nmm1DDKcIYhLDUBZ2_M7k1dqV-bHi5h1MW50N0naasePmQ22DLK4wB9qfP4aPYM9AKIe3oAo$ .) Here is the context for my question:

I have a large single continuous EEG recording of about 70 minutes. After preprocessing the data, I extracted eight epochs from the file. Each epoch is about 5.5 minutes and represents the time when a subject is playing a video game during the experiment.

For each epoch, I want to obtain the average power of select frequency bands from a set of adjacent channels. My lab uses EGI nets with 128 electrodes. For example, I'm interested in the average power of alpha band (8 to 12.5 Hz) from seven channels over the occipital lobe (i.e., 66, 67, 71, 72, 76, 77, 84).

Specifically, I wish to use bandpower() with three inputs as follows:

p = bandpower(x,fs,freqrange)

where x is the input signal, fs is the sample rate, and freqrange is the frequency range.

I was thinking I could run this on each of the seven channels and then average them. My goal is to look at trends in average power for frequency bands of interest across the eight epochs.

James Lue