[Eeglablist] Splitting the data for ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 29 14:32:25 PDT 2023

Dear Jan,

> Do you think that the low-frequency data within the ICA sources is
problematic or can it be ignored? What are your suggestions on how to best
deal with such data?

Here, you are asking a qualitative question. Often, this kind of question
is answered by seeing quantitative evaluation.

> I am concerned, that this low frequency content will be randomly
distributed across the ICA components when applied to the second dataset
(in my case with a band pass filter of 0.05 - 5 Hz).

It is NOT random.
You can think of the problem as follows.
Let's say you apply ICA 2 Hz, then copy the ICA weight matrix to the
broadband data that contains 1-2 Hz signals.
What you can do is that you band-pass filter the data to 1-2 Hz first. This
tells you the exact data ICA missed. You can study their non-stationary
scalp topography changes etc.
Now, you apply the > 2Hz ICA to this 1-2 Hz band-pass filtered data. This
tells you what will be added when you apply > 2 Hz ICA to your broadband
data.

If you like, you can also run ICA on your 1-2 Hz data (I recommend you
specify very low rank decomposition because such as narrow
band-pass filtered data could be severely rank reduced; see my ICA-rank
paper from the link below. The obtained ICA may show more correlation to
your broadband ICA results rather than > 2Hz ICA results, IF the 1-2 Hz
signal has dominant power over the entire freq spectrum (there is 1/f PSD
curve, so lower the frequency, higher the power in general).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frsip.2023.1064138/full__;!!Mih3wA!FTktodiwtkv_Agi2VLBbfwOviUhXg5O8pVlMiA1I0MAQxJqds0JJt441KG9uPc-s2qpW3JM4wLxchFs0UArw40XAVX8$

To conclude, your question can be answered by looking at data processed
with a band-pass filter and ICA. After seeing these results, you can made a
decision. Maybe the results are very obvious to you to see its meaning,
maybe not.
See also this Wiki article.

https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#What_happens_to_the_.3C_1_Hz_data_if_ICA_is_calculated_on_.3E_1_Hz_data_and_applied_to_0.1_Hz_data.3F_.2805.2F18.2F2022_Updated.29

Makoto