[Eeglablist] P and N values in EEG data

Dr Cyril, Pernet wamcyril at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:58:23 PDT 2023

To follow up on Makoto making fun of N-P naming, these are just
conventions and you can read more about this here
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cobidasmeeg.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/result-reporting/__;!!Mih3wA!D6s__mhdUCPc5gfu1ZORNKBYv1tcbWw_k6Ev-5U4grJ7kbovHyCheaAVUiOIByNHqLX7-y6_kpmoGCFvMyJLSQ$

Traditionally, event-related response components have been named using
an established nomenclature, where the polarity of the (EEG) response
and its/nominal/latency form the elements of the name (e.g., N100, N170,
P300, N400, etc.). This convention appears in guidelines first published
by the International Federation for Clinical Neurophysiology (IFCN) in
1983, and those updated in 1999
(https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.clinph-journal.com/content/guidelinesIFCN__;!!Mih3wA!D6s__mhdUCPc5gfu1ZORNKBYv1tcbWw_k6Ev-5U4grJ7kbovHyCheaAVUiOIByNHqLX7-y6_kpmoGCH6NQ-kXQ$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.clinph-journal.com/content/guidelinesIFCN__;!!Mih3wA!D6s__mhdUCPc5gfu1ZORNKBYv1tcbWw_k6Ev-5U4grJ7kbovHyCheaAVUiOIByNHqLX7-y6_kpmoGCH6NQ-kXQ$ >).

 From a neurophysiological perspective, peaks mark a transition in terms
of neural processing, but ERP polarity has no direct link to synaptic
activity (excitation or inhibition) since, even if you measure it on the
brain, it is an integral measure of cortical layers (and if measured on
the scalp, integrate many sources altogether)