[Eeglablist] Why most of good 'brain' ICs are 'dipolar' with show 'red'-centerd scalp topos, although 2/3 of the cortex is in sulci?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 13 12:32:01 PST 2023

Hi Cedric,

Thank you for your comment! I welcome your input.

> Isn't this simply because EEG mainly captures radial gryal sources,
producing strong scalp dipoles on the topos?

That's right. Scalp-recorded EEG is primarily sensitive to gyral sources.
My paper confirmed that ICA does not do any magic to that fact. Otherwise,
we would see 2/3 of the ICs show tangential topos!

> do you still see this phenomenon after applying surface Laplacian, when
you remove most of the large-scale radial synchrony, and focus mainly on
local (small-scale) tangential activity.

I'm not sure if we can identify sulcal sources in the spline
Laplacian-transformed data. Maybe Ramesh can comment on this part.

> But maybe the thalamocortical loops control them all? ;)

Ha ha, you think you get me? On the contrary.
I don't know about the astrocytes honestly, but I'm sure PING and traveling
waves are both mediated by thalamo-cortico-thalamic loop. Why not? I paste
other quotes from the same Jones (2002) below for your info.
If it were not the thalamus, then what's the role of the known network
around the reticular thalamic nucleus, for example? It receives collateral
from both thalamo-cortical and cortico-thalamic fibers only to modulate
other thalamic activities with inhibitory inputs. Same applies to the
redundant feedback loop connections by specific (i.e. focal) and
non-specific (i.e. diffuse) thalamic nuclei?

%%%%%%%%%%%
...In this scheme, involving the systematic recruitment of cortical and
thalamic cells by thalamic matrix cells and layer V corticothalamic cells,
large-scale, coherent activity would be set up throughout large  regions
 of  cortex  in  response  to  an  externally  or internally  generated
 stimulus. (p.1669)

...The capacity of the layer V cortico-thalamic projection to bring
activity in one cortical region to thalamic nuclei that project to adjacent
regions, and even to distant regions located in other lobes of the cerebral
 hemisphere,  could  extend  the  binding  process  by providing a basis
for unifying activity in the somatosensory  and  motor  cortex  during
 movement  performance (Ribaryet  al.  1991;  Murthy  &  Fetz  1992,
 1996a,b; Sanes & Donoghue 1993), and in parietal areas engaged in
perception with that in frontal areas engaged in planning strategies for
action (Tononiet al.1992; Lumeret al.1997). Corticocortical connections
undoubtedly playa prominent part here as well but they would run parallel
to a system of corticothalamocortical loops in spreading activity across
the forebrain. (p.1670)
%%%%%%%%%%%

Have you thought of what makes ERP components such as P100, N170, and P300
(I did visual ERPs for my PhD hence the choices)? The first P100 is driven
by the 'proximal' input mainly to infragranular layer V that makes the
upward intracellular current, while the next N170 is driven by the 'distal'
input to supragranular layers II and III that makes downward intracellular
current. The input to layer II and III is from non-specific thalamus. In
this way, polarities of ERPs are already connected to the layer-specific
thalamo-cortico-thalamic loop. Do you think this is another
(over)simplification? Maybe, but there is evidence for that. For more info,
check out human neocortical neurosolver (HNN) https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hnn.brown.edu/__;!!Mih3wA!GYeKl_piY81R70lbPPVjcklQWmPTR1ErF-QSnByiSVeTcqcx_xKP-UcRS0tKQ57pLT6t46kG_G31Bsg4FDA9o_sB94s$ .

I met a couple of EEGLAB novices in the last HNN workshop in Washington DC.
I'm convinced that learning how to apply HNN to our EEG/ERP data is
beneficial for both educational and scientific purposes. It makes us think
where EEG is from and how they relate to the deeper level of physiology,
and it adds more value and insight to our humble EEG observations. I'll
show you some demo soon.

Makoto