[Eeglablist] Why most of good 'brain' ICs are 'dipolar' with show 'red'-centerd scalp topos, although 2/3 of the cortex is in sulci?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 21 09:19:09 PST 2023

Dear Ramesh,

> Suppose there is a phase difference between two adjacent gyri.  There
will be some cancellation of signal but there will still be more signal
than if only 1 gyrus was active except for the 180 degree out of phase
case.

Hmm I think I understood your point. It took me time, but I remembered the
rather shocking but theoretically not surprising visualizations and a
conclusion from this study.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1053811916301884__;!!Mih3wA!G_Ojrd8F7PZfZkuwWzWgsS0JVHvWMtrSgPfLywQuwpNYVzbJPo15amBcOKX7xf3omORoWs_YmMlVXxKDyaSj_3wb_t4$

Their conclusion even applies to the case of ICA-derived 'sources'. After
all, it's not the unitary phases across cortical columns, but it is 'a'
spatially fixed repeating pattern of a phase configuration that is
necessary to form a 'dipolar' scalp projection.

Makoto