[Eeglablist] filtering data

Tjcollins3 at aol.com Tjcollins3 at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 10:40:47 PST 2005

Kevin,
It appears to me that your ringing problem is a classic effect of having a
rectangular window (aka "boxcar" function) for the EEG data prior to doing an FT
on it.  I'd suggest applying a partial raised cosine taper window to the data
prior to sending it into the FT.  (I'm presuming that the EEGLAB FT filter
function does not apply any windows or perform any other preprocessing to the
data prior to the FT.  If there is a window function applied, then there is no
need to apply another window.)

The partial raised cosine taper window function is as follows:

        0.5[1-cos (px/d)]        for 0 £ x £ d
u (x) = 1                              for d £ x £ 1-d
        0.5[1-cos (p(1-x)/d)]          for 1-d £ x £ 1  where 0 £ d £ 0.5

I found d = 0.1 to be useful (i.e., taper the first 10% and the last 10% of
the signal while leaving the remainder unaffected).  I wrote a short MAT
function which you can use that is set up for d = 0.1.  (I have the SP Toolbox and
still needed to write this function.  It's cheap and well worth the investment.)

In case the special characters in the above equation get screwed up, I'm
attaching a short narrative in MS Word with the reference cited.

One final note, AOL automatically zips multiple attachments, so if your
institution filters zip file attachments from emails please advise and I can send
each separately to you.

Hope this is helpful.
Thomas J. Collins III