[Eeglablist] BCI2000 Workshop (Satellite to 2005 BCI Meeting) - Request for response

Gerwin Schalk schalk at wadsworth.org
Mon Mar 7 08:51:50 PST 2005

Greetings to the EEGlab community,

We are planning the first BCI2000 Workshop as a satellite to the 3rd
International BCI Meeting and we need your response to gauge the number
of people who will participate.

As you might know, BCI2000 is a general-purpose system for BCI research
and development. It can also be used for other data acquisition and
stimulus presentation purposes. This system has been used to replicate
or extend current BCI methods in humans, and has recently been used in a
number of groundbreaking BCI studies. BCI2000 has to date been acquired
by about 45 groups around the world who use it for a variety of BCI or
other studies. The system is available free of charge for research
purposes to academic and educational institutions at http://www.bci2000.org.

While BCI2000 comes with comprehensive documentation for end-users and
software engineers, there have been numerous requests for a BCI2000
Workshop that can introduce current or potential BCI2000 users to the
general concepts the system is based upon, to the necessary programming
required to extend the system, and to the practical application of the
system using various BCI methods. We felt that the upcoming 3rd
International BCI Meeting in Rensselaerville (June 14-19, 2005) offers
an ideal opportunity to hold the first BCI2000 Workshop. This workshop
will take place on June 13 and 14 close to Rensselaerville, immediately
before the 3rd International Meeting which begins in the evening of June
14th. (The specific venue for the BCI2000 workshop is yet to be
determined. Furthermore, participation in the BCI2000 workshop does not
guarantee participation in the 3rd International BCI meeting as the
number of participants is limited. (If you have questions about the 3rd
Intl. BCI meeting, please contact Theresa Vaughan at
vaughan at wadsworth.org.) The first day will mainly be concerned with
theoretical aspects and the second day with practical applications of
BCI2000. The tentative program is as follows:

Monday, June 13 -- Theory
o General concepts of BCI operation using BCI2000 (Gerwin Schalk)
o BCI training and user issues (Dennis McFarland)
o Software engineering and extensions to BCI2000 (Juergen Mellinger)

Tuesday, June 14 -- Practice
o Configuration, conduction, and analysis of sensorimotor rhythm
experiments (Febo Cincotti)
o Configuration, conduction, and analysis of P300 experiments (Febo
Cincotti)
o Other configurations

We anticipate a registration fee of about $250-$300 per person, which
will include lunches, refreshments, and meeting materials such as
tutorials, etc. In order to plan the appropriate venue for this exciting
event, we need to know how many people plan to attend. Thus, we request
that the people who would like to attend pre-register by the end of the
day on Wednesday, March 16, by simply emailing to dzhang at wadsworth.org.
Please understand that your response will define the size of the venue,
and that you may not be able to participate if you do not pre-register.

We are very enthusiastic about this event and are looking forward to
hearing back from you. Also, if you have any comments as to what topics
you would also want to be covered, please let us know.

Best regards,
Gerwin Schalk
--
Gerwin Schalk