[Eeglablist] PCA option to runica

Philip Michael Zeman madhackr at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 27 12:38:26 PDT 2005

If you are using the PCA parameter with runica:

(1) the data is reduced in dimensionality via a very basic implementation of
PCA. The data returned from the PCA operation will have the dimension
specified by the PCA parameter.(Note it does not do any rotations of the data
based on probabilistic information.)

(2) once the data has been reduced in dimension, ICA run on the reduced
dimension data.

My partner and I muddled with the PCA parameters extensivly over the last few
months because we were trying to do analysis on exceptionally noisy data.  The
PCA option provides you with a cut-off to drop 'weak signals/noise'.  As you
reduce dimension, two things will happen:  (1) you will reduce the possible
*weak components* (with respect to a PCA rotation) you will find, (2)you will
reduce the number of 'maximally independent' components you can generate.  For
us result (2) makes it harder to do clustering as the components across
subjects may not be consistently similar. ....ie, harder to cluster

~Phil Zeman

University of Victoria
Assisitve Technology Team
http://www.uvic.ca/uvatt