[Eeglablist] Eeglab in Octave

Nathan Weisz Nathan.Weisz at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Jul 20 13:33:37 PDT 2005

Dear Ansgar,

first of all, I can't find anything on the EEGLAB homepage that promises
it should run under Octave.

But nevertheless I understand that it would be desirable. I always feel
uncomfortable of being so dependent on the Mathworks (... but EEGLAB is
so nice and I'm too lazy :-)). Your question reminds of a question
someone asked to the Octave-list a couple of days ago, whether SPM has
already been ported to Octave yet.
The answer is quite simple:
1. Anything GUIish (like EEGLAB) can't be ported as a whole to octave at
the moment. You'll also run into problems with some graphics stuff too.
2. Functions only doing calculations should run with no or only very
minor changes (you can report these incompatibilities to the Octave
developers).
So one solution for you - if you know exactly which functions you need
and really don't want to / can't use Matlab - would be to grab those
functions, and dump any GUI (and perhaps graphics) stuff. If you can't
get things visualized nicely in Octave (although this thing looks
promising: http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=about) you
might want to use are R (http://www.r-project.org/). It has a package
called R.matlab, which allows you
to read .mat files to the R-workspace. Graphics functions are as good or
perhaps even better than in Matlab.

In the long run there might be hope. There are some efforts to develop
GUI functionality in Octave:
http://octave-gtk.sourceforge.net/
http://driss.ghaddab.free.fr/cmo/
Only if such projects are successful, then - given enough developers and
users - something like an Octave EEGLAB would be conceivable. But I
wouldn't expect this to happen very soon though.

Best,
Nathan

BTW: I think the recent Octave version is 2.1.71

Dr. Nathan Weisz

University of Konstanz
Department of Psychology
78457 Konstanz, Germany