[Eeglablist] Can I use independent components derived from filtered data for correction of unfiltered data?

Niko Busch Niko.Busch at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Wed Aug 24 05:50:16 PDT 2005

Dear EEGLAB users,

is it reasonable to compute ICA components on a highpass filtered (0.5
Hz) dataset, and then use the solution to correct eyeblinks in the
unfiltered dataset?

I recently conducted a recognition memory experiment. The epochs are
long, there are a lot of eyeblinks, and, unfortunately, a lot of slow
electrode drifts which are probably sweat artifacts (beware of recording
experiments in July!). I would like to use ICA to correct the eye
artifacts, but I am afraid that the slow drifts would trouble the ICA
solution. On the other hand, I do not want to highpass filter the data,
either, since this also eliminates the slow potential effects I am
interested in. Therefore, could I run ICA on the highpass filtered
dataset, then transfer the weights to the unfiltered dataset, and
finally use them for eyeblink correction? Or would that distort my data
in some way?

Thank you and best regards,
Niko.

--