[Eeglablist] Can I use independent components derived from filtered data for correction of unfiltered data?

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 24 13:24:09 PDT 2005

Niko -

In this case you'd be decomposing   your    whole_data = highpass_data +
lowpass_data
as follows

     wts*sphe*(hipass_data + lowpass_data) =  wts*sph*hipass_data +
wts*sph*lowpass_data;

 The first term on the right above would be separated into its
independent components (if you trained ICA on the highpass data). The
second term would be separated into components without any guarantee at
all of independence.

You could subtract components of the first term  (i.e. of the
highpass_data) from the whole data. though this would fail to separate
out the lowpass portions of the eye artifacts.

You could run a separate decomposition on the lowpass data, subtract
from it any components you wish, and then add together the
artifact-adjusted highpass and lowpass data portions. This might or
might not be effective  - we have no experience since we do not try to
work with the lowpass (< 1 Hz) phenomena in our data -- but is possibly
worth a try.

Scott