FW: [Eeglablist] fMRI artifact removal

Rami K. Niazy rami at fmrib.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 11:51:27 PDT 2005

Hi All

For the fmrib plug-in, the sampling requirement is that you sample high
enough so that you do not have any aliasing in the data.  So that
depends on what filters your hardware has.  As a minimum, your hardware
should completely remove any frequencies above 400Hz or so to avoid
aliasing at 1kHz (theoretically, you should always sample at twice the
highest frequency in your data.  Practically, that should be 3-4 times
the highest freq.)

Negishi et. al. (2004) applied similar techniques to those used in the
fmrib plug-in to data sampled at 1kHz and had good results.  We have
tried the fmrib plug-in on data collected at 1kHz and had really bad
results because high frequencies were aliasing.   At those low sampling
frequencies (1kHz - 2kHz), even though you avoid aliasing, you get some
shape differences in the artifact as Marcel has pointed out.  However,
our program is designed to approximate these differences and deal with
them so that you don't have to sample at 5kHz.  You just need to avoid
aliasing.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Rami