[Eeglablist] Bootstrap significance probability level

Francesco Versace versace at psico.univ.trieste.it
Wed Nov 2 11:14:43 PST 2005

you can also look at:
Randomization tests for ERP topographies and whole
spatiotemporal data matrices
Eric Maris
Psychophysiology
 January 2004 - Vol. 41 Issue 1

francesco

Quota Christopher Summerfield
<summerfd at paradox.psych.columbia.edu>:

> dear Adrian, the familywise error rate can be
calculated for bootstrap
> stats in the following way:
>
> 1) calculate your statistics at every
timepoint/voxel/whatever (we'll call
> these 'point estimate statistics')
> 2) shuffle and permute
> 3) for each permutation, enter the *maximum*
permuted value from across
> all the sampled timepoints/voxels into a distibution
> 4) 'point estimate' statistics falling within the
95% confidence interval
> of this distribution can be considered significant,
adjusted for
> familywise error.
>
> for more information, see Burgess & Gruzelier, 1999
> Methodological advances in the analysis of event-
related desynchronization
> data.	in Event-Related Desynchronization ed Gert
Pfurtscheller, F H
> Lopes Da Silva.
>
> this process could be adapted to provdide false
discovery rate correction
> (see Genovese et al 2002).
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11906227
&query_hl=1

> good luck,
> Chris
>

> Christopher Summerfield
> summerfd at psych.columbia.edu
>
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Adrian Guggisberg wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I wonder, whether anyone has some practical
considerations about which
> level
> > of significance probability should be chosen for
bootstrap statistics.

> > Since we have to deal with multiple comparisons,
the significance
> threshold
> > should be decreased, but the question is how much.
As much as I
> understand,
> > the Bonferroni correction for multiple testing
would correspond to a
> level
> > of p < 0.05/(number of time points * number of
frequency bins). However,
> > this would require a very high amount of surrogate
data.

> > Most of the studies seem to use p-values < 0.01.
What's the argumentation
> > for this?
> >
> > In their J Neurosci Meth; 2004:9-21 Paper, Arnaud
Delorme and Scott
> Makeig
> > write that they have
> > "implemented a method to fit the observed data
distribution using a forth
> > order distribution fit. This feature will be
available in a near-term
> release
> > of EEGLAB."
> > Does this feature allow a significance level of
0.05? Is there a way to

________________
> > Your Site for Swiss Maps: http://www.swissinfo-
geo.org/

-------------------------------------
Francesco Versace
NIMH Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention
 University of Florida  P.O. Box 100165 HSC
 Gainesville, FL  32610-0165
 352.392.2439 phone
 352.392.6047 fax
 fversace at ufl.edu