[Eeglablist] CTF MEG data import

Darren Weber darren.weber at radiology.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 29 23:24:12 PST 2005

Hi Andrey,

I have taken responsibility to develop the ctf matlab functions, available in the ctf module of the cvs repository at eeg.sf.net.  These functions are the CTF plugin for EEGLAB.

http://eeg.sourceforge.net/
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/eeg/ctf/#dirlist

In this instance, the ctf_read_res4 function can read the reference sensor coefficients.  Sarang Dalal programmed this functionality; he is a PhD student at UCSF, working with Srikantan Nagarajan, and he develops the nutmeg toolbox.  We should consult with Sarang on this issue. As I understand it, these coefficients are being used to calculate the forward solution (or lead field) for nutmeg.  However, we have always used the ctf software to first apply synthetic gradient corrections (2nd, 3rd order gradients).  In the system at UCSF, there are 275 radial gradiometers and about 32 reference channels (about 20+ cm from the head sensors).  The ctf matlab functions should provide easy ways to select channels, see

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/eeg/ctf/ctf_channel_select.m?rev=1.9&view=log

So, the short answer to your question is:

The functions do not calculate higher-order synthetic gradiometer corrections.  It should be possible to program this, but time is not on my side :-(  Please follow-up with myself and Sarang and we can discuss options for your work.  If you have or you can get the ctf LINUX programs, I recommend you take a look at newDs and the process.cfg file inside the *.ds/ folders.

Take care, Darren