[Eeglablist] Can amygdala activity be detected on the scalp?

"Pål G. Larsson" pal.g.larsson at epilepsy.no
Sat Dec 31 08:15:28 PST 2005

Teresa Wong wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I would like to hear your views on whether scalp ERPs can reflect
> activity of the amygdala.
> Is it possible/valid to localize dipole sources (using 128-channel
> recordings, emotional faces as stimuli) in subcortical brain regions,
> limbic areas, amygdala, etc?

One of Paul Nunez works look into the possibilty of recording small
foci. I guess to make it simple, it all cooks down to the degree of
syncrony and the signal/noise ratio. E.g. you can record brainstem
potentials, but you have to "cheat" by doing averanging (thousand of
samples).

To record spontanious amygdala activity, you have a signal that is low
due to distance. On the other side you have cortical activity from large
cortex-areas that are near the recording givening lots of "noise". You
need to get rid of the noise -> averaging. So, in ERP-studies you must
average. Then you get the next problem: Can you have a paradigm that
gives stable response for hundreds or probably thousands of avergares?

Regards

Pål G. Larrson

Head of. dept
Dept. of neurodiagnostics