[Eeglablist] Can amygdala activity be detected on the scalp?

Richard Harner Brainvue at verizon.net
Wed Jan 4 16:22:36 PST 2006

Teresa,

First off here is a list of some factors that contribute to the detection of
a signal deep in the brain:

1. magnitude of the generators--microvolts to millivolts
2. size of the field-- number of synapses, fibers, cells, regions
3. field type-- simple/mixed, open/closed, compact/distributed,
curved/planar
4. orientation of field to recording electrodes--perpendicular/parallel
5. distance from electrodes-- microns, millimeters, centimeters
6. frequency structure within bandpass of recording electrodes/amplifiers
7. signal/noise ratio-- temporal, spatial, frequency, statistical
8. stochastic properties--stationarity, gaussianity, etc

Anyone eel free to add or subtract or comment on this partial list. I am
sure Paul (Nunez) and others would have lots more to say, but even such a
short list suggests that addressing multiple factors can enhance the
likelihood of finding what you want, even deep in the brain.  EEG history is
full of examples of missing important signals because of inappropriate
selection of paradigm, electrode, montage or bandpass.

Epileptic spikes from the amygdala are huge, have lots of connections
temporal cortex and may be easy to record and localize with surface
electrodes if field orientation is appropriate, as noted by others ( for
example see J. Ebersole).

More relevant to the difficult problem you pose is the regularly successful
detection of extremely low amplitude auditory evoked potentials (AEP) from
the human pons and midbrain, using widely spaced electrodes, recording
bandpass 10-3000 Hz and averaging thousands of 10/sec very brief clicks.
This technique is now standardized and in clinical use for decades.

So, is it possible to record tiny, distant sources in the brain with surface
electrodes?  Unequivocally yes, if the contributing issues are addressed.
Easy in your circumstances?  Certainly not, without a fresh insight into
methodology.  Still, given

1) a clever protocol designed to give a large localized response,
2) some external information  about the location of activated generators
(say fMRI) and
3) some idea about the nature of the signal (say, by trying your protocol in
subjects who have intracranial electrodes for other purposes) it might be
worth a try.

Happy New Year!

Richard Harner