[Eeglablist] Can amygdala activity be detected on the scalp?

Bill Budd Bill.Budd at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Jan 18 20:51:26 PST 2006

Hi all,

Interesting discussion...just wondered whether the distance of the source
from the electrodes would play a significant factor in detecting a signal?
Given that intracerebral currents summate instantaneously at every point
within a conductive medium (cranium). I had always thought that distance (or
far field) effects are not observed in EEG/ERP recordings?

Would appreciate being corrected if I'm misguided here!

Also, type of activity would also play a major role..probably due to a
combination of Richard's points 2 and 3 below, but I think there is some
acceptance that compound action potentials contribute very little to EEG/MEG
and that it is postsynaptic or slow graded potentials that are primarily
responsible for the potential changes observed at the scalp.

Cheers

	-Bill