[Eeglablist] independent component

arno arno at salk.edu
Thu Mar 30 07:54:39 PST 2006

Ming Qian wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a question related to map an independent component back to a raw
> channel or ideally an area of brain.
>
> If I have one IC component and I think it is important, what are the
> method I can use to identify which part of the brain is mainly responsible
> for this component?  If that is not possible, at least I try to find an
> electrode that is most responsible for this component.

You may use the DIPFIT plugin to rougthly localize the brain area from
which the component scalp projection arises. To know which electrode is
the most active for each component, simply look at the component's
topographic plot (menu Plot > Component map > In 2-D) where the activity
is most positive or negative (you may plot electrode name in the option
edit box).

Best regards,