[Eeglablist] sleep study by analyzing all-night EEG

Masaki NISHIDA mnishida at bidmc.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:18:20 PST 2006

Dear everyone,

I am a new user of EEGLAB and study the electric activity during human
natural sleep using scalp EEG and intracranial EEG (planted subdural or
depth of brain, for the evaluation of epilepsy patients ).
I have a couple of questions because I must handle the long-lasting data.

1. How could I get the matrix data of spectra alalysis of each channel and
frequency?
   I want to compare the magnitudes of frequency band among the subjects, so
it would be useful to extract data as matrix in the workspace.  For long
time I have used a FFT method, so I'm not familiar with multitaper methods.

2. In sleep study, long-lasting period (for example, slow wave sleep or REM
sleep) is our interest.  Is it possible to extract such a long duration as
epochs?  If impossible, I think to use data after rejecting other sections.

3. I would like to know whether the ICA is useful for evaluating sleep
recording.  We can find various forms of waves in the human sleep EEG, such
as big delta wave during non-REM sleep, low scattered fast wave during REM
sleep.  I wonder if we can use ICA or
other rejecting artifacts events.

I hope to hear good suggestions.

Best wishes,

Masaki Nishida M.D.,Ph.D.

Department of Psychiatry, Center for Sleep and Cognition,
Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
e-mail: mnishida at bidmc.harvard.edu