[Eeglablist] wavletcycles fastor

arno arno at salk.edu
Wed Apr 19 09:20:34 PDT 2006

Elena Orekhova wrote:

> Dear EEGLab users
>

> Does anybody know the reason to use particular 'wavletcycles fastor'
> in timef function?
>
> Certainly, the picture looks better with the default 0.5 factor, than
> with both 1 or 0 factors, but can it be misleading? Intuitively,
> factor 1 (no increase standard wavelets) seems to be more precise, is
> not it?

Yes, "wavelet factor 1" has a better time resolution at all frequencies.
We must use a low number of cycles at low frequencies (for example 3 for
5-Hertz theta) otherwise the window size would be too big (3 cycles at 5
Hertz is already 600 ms). However, at high frequency this is not a
problem (3 cycles at 40 Hertz is 7.5 ms) and it is better to obtain a
better frequency estimate by increasing the number of cycles (using the
wavelet cycle factor), which in turn decreases time resolution. If you
do not do that, some "blurring" effect appear at high frequency. 0.5
means that the program will use a window size of half the size at the
lowest frequency. It is not ideal as a parameter. A new version of the
function we have designed (and will be releasing soon) allow to set
directly the number of cycle at the lowest frequency and at the number
of cycle at the highest plotted frequency.