[Eeglablist] sleep study by analyzing all-night EEG

Ilana Hairston hairston at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 23 10:36:52 PDT 2006

>> 2. In sleep study, long-lasting period (for example, slow wave sleep
>> or REM sleep) is our interest. Is it possible to extract such a long
>> duration as epochs? If impossible, I think to use data after
>> rejecting
>> other sections.
> No, all epochs must have the same length. A future (to be released
> soon)
> version of timef() can though use multiple baseline at different
> latencies (baseline can be the sleep period for instance).

It should also be noted that the sleep is scored in 20-30 sec epochs
anyway, and a good analysis for the dynamics of eeg within each sleep
stage would be on 4 sec epochs (or another power of 2 size). If you
look at sleep papers from the Borbely lab you will see that al the
power spectra analysis is on 4 s epochs.

>> 3. I would like to know whether the ICA is useful for evaluating
>> sleep
>> recording. We can find various forms of waves in the human sleep EEG,
>> such as big delta wave during non-REM sleep, low scattered fast wave
>> during REM sleep. I wonder if we can use ICA or
>> other rejecting artifacts events.
> Yes, it is useful to reject artifact for sure. About studying brain
> dynamics, I cannot see why not. I have not tried myself though.

Not so much the basic ICA - but if you have questions about network
activation during sleep - cross coherence of components could be
interesting.