[Eeglablist] Single Trial phase locking measure

Jerzy Achimowicz jerzy_achimowicz at imgw.pl
Mon May 8 14:07:59 PDT 2006

Dear Dr Ming Qian
My advice is to try the following method which I had already
designed and verified in my Ph.D.
see the paper at:
-----
      Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 1995;55(3):177-91.

Variability analysis of visual evoked potentials in humans by pattern
recognition in phase domain.
Achimowicz JZ.
Department of CNS Diagnostic, Polish Air Force Institute of Aviation
Medicine, Warsaw, Poland.

A novel approach to single trial visually evoked potentials (VEP)
variability analysis based on a new model of post-stimulus brain electrical
activity is presented. The convolution model introduced by the author is
experimentally verified by the analysis of flash stimulus effects on EEG
amplitude and phase spectra. Pattern recognition in the signal phase domain
is proposed for detection of any time locked transient signals. This is
illustrated by an application of a clustering algorithm in two-dimensional
unwrapped phase of EEG Fourier transform space for occipitally recorded VEPs
in human subjects.

Publication Types: Clinical Trial PMID: 8553911 [PubMed - indexed for
MEDLINE]
the method measures directly phase locking of ERP in case when there are
distinct peaks in power spectra of evoked responses at several (stable)
frequencies
it works like that:
1. Take consecutive single responses, remove DC, apply window with taper
starting before stimulus onset and ending
when there are no peaks in time domain which are of interest for you.
2. Do FFT on each of them.
3. Unwrap the phase of single ERPS FFT (procedure available in Matlab)
4. choose the frequencies of interest basin on average power spectrum of all
5. Evaluate statistically the randomness of phase at those frequencies using
e.g. Raylegh test (random phase has uniform distribution)

than you can state that phase of evoked response
at for example gamma frequency is
nonrandomly distributed = there is phase locking at this frequency with
given level of confidence
In my Ph.D. I had used multimentional (selected frequencies) phase feature
space to describe given set of single responses. Then I had clustered them
in that space and used cluster means as the measure of given type of
response like alfa triggered responce or stimulus specific response.
I will try to find electronic version of this paper and send it to you ASAP.

Jerzy  Achimowicz Ph.D. Dr.Sc.
IMGW-PO
Center for Development of Numerical Forecasts
Podlesna  61 str.
01-673 Warsaw, POLAND.
phone:  office:   +48(22) 569-4130
             mobile:  +48  514-834--544