[Eeglablist] channel cross-coherence

arno arno at salk.edu
Fri Jun 2 04:47:20 PDT 2006

Daniel Mathalon wrote:
> Dear EEGLAB gurus,
>
> There were a couple of recent posts (see below) regarding
> cross-channel coherence analyses.  It is unclear what the distinction
> is between phase coherence and linear coherence, and it seems that
> neither of them calculates pure phase synchrony (as is done with the
> Lachaux et al method).
Phase coherence calculates PURE phase synchrony (which is independent of
signal amplitude). Linear coherence takes indeed phase as well as
amplitude information. Amplitude correlation would take into account
only amplitude information. For the exact formula of phase coherence and
linear coherence, see http://repositories.cdlib.org/postprints/357/

I do not know exactly which one of Jean Philippe Lachaux method you are
refering to. His main method I think relates to studying phase coherence
(or ITC/phase locking factor) in single trial using binary ERP-image
like display. Eugenio Rodrigues is working a plugin with these functions
for EEGLAB (do not hesitate to email him to motivate him).

Best regards,

Arno