[Eeglablist] channel cross-coherence

Daniel H. Mathalon daniel.mathalon at yale.edu
Wed Jun 7 06:31:20 PDT 2006

Dear Arno,

I understood that the Lachaux method was used to calculate pure phase
synchrony across channels.  It sounds like the cross channel phase
coherence function does essentially the same thing, although it is
unclear how the calculations differ.

I will try to run this past Eugenio Rodriques.

Thanks.

Dan

>Daniel Mathalon wrote:
>
>>Re: [Eeglablist] channel cross-coherence
>>Dear EEGLAB gurus,
>>
>>There were a couple of recent posts (see below) regarding
>>cross-channel coherence analyses.  It is unclear what the
>>distinction is between phase coherence and linear coherence, and it
>>seems that neither of them calculates pure phase synchrony (as is
>>done with the Lachaux et al method).
>>
>Phase coherence calculates PURE phase synchrony (which is
>independent of signal amplitude). Linear coherence takes indeed
>phase as well as amplitude information. Amplitude correlation would
>take into account only amplitude information. For the exact formula
>of phase coherence and linear coherence, see
><http://repositories.cdlib.org/postprints/357/>http://repositories.cdlib.org/postprints/357/
>
>I do not know exactly which one of Jean Philippe Lachaux method you
>are refering to. His main method I think relates to studying phase
>coherence (or ITC/phase locking factor) in single trial using binary
>ERP-image like display. Eugenio Rodrigues is working a plugin with
>these functions for EEGLAB (do not hesitate to email him to motivate
>him).
>
>Best regards,
>
>Arno
>
>>Can someone comment on how these cross-channel coherences are
>>calculated and whether there is a plan to add a pure cross-channel
>>phase synchrony measure to EEGLAB?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dan Mathalon

Daniel H. Mathalon, Ph.D., M.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Yale University School of Medicine

Mail Address:	Psychiatry Service 116a
		VA Connecticut Healthcare System
		950 Campbell Ave
		West Haven, CT  06516

Fax:		(203) 937-3886
Office Phone:	(203) 932-5711, ext.  5539
Pager:		(203) 867-7756