[Eeglablist] MEG channel locations

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at fcdonders.ru.nl
Mon Jun 26 11:39:22 PDT 2006

Dear Nathan,

EEGLAB has in it's main EEG structure a field EEG.chanlocs, which
contain the channel locations used for topoplotting. The dipfit
routine needs more information besides the channel locations, namely
also the number and location of the coils that compromise a
gradiometer channel and the orientation of the gradiometers. In
dipfit you can specify the 'chanfile', i.e. the file with the channel
information (in the case of CTF that would be the res4 file, in the
case of neuromag a fif file). I am not sure though exactly how the
dipfit plugin would deal with MEG data: the underlying dipolefitting
function from the FieldTrip toolbox can work with MEG data, but
EEGLAB sometimes tries to be "smart", which might not always work
with MEG data.

best regards,
Robert