[Eeglablist] how can I rereference to average of ear electrodes

arno arno at salk.edu
Fri Oct 27 13:29:52 PDT 2006

Sascha Purmann wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> thanks for your reply. I think I have already tried this but was
> confused by this Note:
>
>> reref_EEG = pop_reref( EEG, [62], 'method', 'standard');
>
> Note: old reference electrode (unless present as data channel) not
> included in average reference computation.

This note has to do with the computation of the average reference.
Basically, either you consider the reference as a standard electrode
that you wish to include in the average reference computation (i.e., the
average of all electrode including this one is 0 at all time), or it is
not a standard electrode and you do not include it in the average
reference computation (i.e., the average of all electrode except this
one is 0 at all time).

Hope this clarifies things,