[Eeglablist] phase coherence vs phase synchrony

Jaskirat Wild wildja at ohsu.edu
Fri Nov 3 17:23:33 PST 2006

Hi-
I am interested in implementing phase synchrony analysis, but my reading of the literature leads me to the conclusion that there are a number of different algorithms and the nomenclature is a little confusing (phase synchrony, phase coherence, phase coupling, etc.). I am particularly interested in implementing the Lachaux, Varela, et al version. I am wondering, has anyone already a function successfully implemented this? How is their version conceptually different from the EEGLab Phase Coherence function? Aren't they both measuring the difference between instantaneous phase of two signals, and how this varies over time? Can the parameters of the Phase Coherence function be set to replicate the Lachaux implementation? Any comments appreciated!
Cheers,
Jaskirat

Dr. H. Jaskirat Wild, PhD
Oregon Health and Sciences University (OHSU)
Department of Neurology
Oregon Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Neurological Disorders (ORCCAMIND)
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd
Portland, OR 97239
503 494 7219
http://www.ohsu.edu/orccamind/